Statement



The body interests me as a perceiving mechanical structure indivisible from the built environment. I am most curious about the reciprocal relationship between the human figure and human behavior within a social context. In Western societies, the body and mind are simultaneously tools and recipients: creating, producing in the search of physical and spiritual comfort versus consuming objects, ideas and standards created by others.

The imagery in my artwork comes from my perception of materials and spatial arrangements. Using the same process as that of an architect, I organize space between parts. I like to engineer structures after postures that challenge a natural state of equilibrium. I include purchased or found objects, questioning standardized conduct and labor. For example, I roll off of a conventional ladder souped-up with counter weights or balance in an inverted position on a totemic tongue-chair.

My installations, sculptures and videos are the result of the syntactic connections between the biological and the environmental. Also, the physical interaction challenges the making of a piece both aesthetically and technically. In upcoming projects, I intend to implement fashion and prosthetic make-up, focusing on womanhood and subverting the advertised female model.

New York, 2008


Version française: